For People with an APPETITE for LIFE!

Welcome to THE MAIN INGREDIENT a place where Food News, Food Politics, Food Culture, Food Fashion & Food Humour meet. Each week you can preview topical foodie matter from my 'Gourmet Lifestyle' radio show called (wait for it) THE MAIN INGREDIENT. Food for the belly & the brain, I hope you'll enjoy the journey with me. Regards Kel

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Fat Kids Getting Fatter

Many newspaper headlines screaming Jamies name in vain today, BBC radio broadcasts also featuring the news that the healthy school meals initiative pioneered by television chef Jamie Oliver is failing, that is according to the Liberal Democrats. To rub salt where salt no longer dares to go, childrens minister Ed Balls says half the kids in the UK risk becoming obese by 2050 if something is not done about it. What I’d like to know is where is Jamie Oliver in all of this? I’ve already covered here on The Main Ingredient the fact that Jamies plan for healthy school meals were being labelled a big fat flop back in early July, and I still stick by my guns....... How do they expect kids to suddenly turn over a new lettuce leaf and willingly eat salads for lunch, when at home they get chicken nuggets, crisps and stodgy spag bol? David Laws, the Liberal Democrat spokesman on children says the new standards for healthier school meals have been introduced too quickly, too drastically and with too little education of both parents and pupils. I rest my case! Hardly Jamie Olivers fault then?

No comments: